These days more and more people are using mobility scooters to regain some freedom and get out and about, go to the shops, hairdresser, doctors or even to go fishing.
As there is no need to pass a driving test here are some safety tips a mobility scooter driver may need to reflect on:
- Make sure the scooter is the correct one for you and that you are comfortable when using it.
- Always know where the controls are and what they are used for – the usual ones are ignition, switch forward and reverse brake and indicators (if there are any on your scooter) and lights. The one that lots of people don’t know about (especially if the scooter has been purchased second hand) is the freewheel leaver usually located on the back bumper. Many times people get caught out with this and when the scooter brakes down you see them pushing and puffing to move the scooter not realising that there is a freewheel setting.
- Don’t wear loose clothing as it may get caught in the wheels of the scooter. The same applies to dog leads which may get caught in the wheels and it is illegal to walk a dog while driving your scooter.
- Do not carry passengers as they may cause the scooter to become overloaded and block the drivers vision – it is also illegal to carry a passenger.
- Be careful when mounting and dismounting a footpath as the scooter can tip over if the footpath is approached incorrectly, if you do not have indicators use hand signals to let other road users know your intention.
- Plan your journey – consider the time of day, the local terrain and if there are any roadworks or diversions in the area leave yourself plenty of time.
- Remember pedestrians have the right of way and you cannot do more than 4mph on the pavement or pedestrian areas and you are limited to 8mph on the road. It is always a good idea to avoid roads if it is possible to do so – if you must use the road make sure you are visible to cars and lorries which are considerably bigger than your mobility scooter.
- Finally get your mobility scooter serviced regularly.
Enjoy your mobility scooter and the freedom it brings.
Contact us if you would like your mobility scooter serviced!